MACKINAC ISLAND, MI –Right on the heels of its popular Lilac Festival, Mackinac Island has a big list of traditional summer events lined up for its Fourth of July celebration.
Sack races at the historic Fort Mackinac, a stone-skipping contest along the shoreline and a double display of pyrotechnics as two fireworks shows launch simultaneously on the island –all this and much more are on the event list for a star-spangled holiday weekend.
“The Fourth of July celebration is one of the beloved traditions on Mackinac Island. It’s a community favorite that brings people back year after year,” said Tim Hygh, executive director of the Mackinac Island Tourism Bureau. really set the stage for an authentic and patriotic holiday experience unlike any other. ”
Here are some highlights of the family-friendly Independence Day activities planned for Mackinac Island, as described by the tourism bureau staff:
- A Star Spangled Fourth of July: Fort Mackinac in all its patriotic finery will host a day-long event beginning at 9:30 am, where 1880s-inspired Independence Day activities such as sack racing, vintage baseball, and cannon salutes await. For more details, check here.
- WT Rabe Stone Skipping Competition: The annual event will kick off at 10:00 am. On July 4 and while professional stone skippers will compete for the coveted trophy, children of all ages are welcome to participate in other divisions. More details are here.
- Dazzling Firework Displays: Two sparkling fireworks displays will go off simultaneously at 10:00 pm One display will go off in front of Marquette Park while the other will go off in front of Mackinac Island School. For details, check here.
Other events include:
- An Old Fashioned Mackinac Fourth of July Celebration at Grand Hotel
- Independence Day-themed Make It Monday Kid’s Classes at Watercolor Cafe
- Fourth of July Cruise presented by Sip n’Sail Cruises
- Live music at venues including the Pink Pony, Ice House BBQ, Horn’s Gaslight Bar and Bistro on the Greens at Mission Point Resort.