The rules around holding a street party this Jubilee Bank Holiday weekend

The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee is just around the corner, meaning Brits will be able to enjoy a four-day bank holiday weekend. A whole programme of events has been planned across the country from Thursday, June 2, to Sunday, June 5, to celebrate the monarch’s 70th year on the throne.

Those lucky enough to be in London for the big weekend could be attending a concert in the grounds of Buckingham Palace, or perhaps the Cazoo derby at Epsom racecourse. The celebrations kick off with the military spectacle Trooping the Color, followed by a special fly- past from more than 70 aircraft.

For those outside the capital, the special events are still coming thick and fast. Many people are throwing street parties in honor of the historic occasion, with more than 70 lined up just in Manchester itself. But what are the rules around hosting such an event and do you need a license to make it possible?

Read more: Read more: Adorable toddler, 3, delights care home residents with amazing Queen outfit for Jubilee

According to the government website, organising a street party is’very simple’ and all you may need to do is complete an application form and submit it to your local council. Contrary to popular belief, a license isn’t actually needed to host a street party.

That is, unless, alcohol is going to be sold, in which case it may require a Temporary Events Notice. “This is a temporary permission for licensable activities which currently costs £ 21 and covers events of fewer than 500 people, including anyone helping to run the event, “the government explained.

Similar parties were held in 2012 for the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee

The guidance recommends forward planning, though, especially when it comes to needing temporary road closures. Residents should contact their council at least six weeks in advance if necessary. The government website reads: “Your first point of contact could be either the council’s highways, licensing, events or communities team. If you encounter any difficulties speak to your local councillor who will be happy to help. “

However, in law there are no deadlines for road closure requests, so you could ask your council to be flexible. Alternatively, you can keep the road open and organise a gathering or’Street Meet’ on private land, such as a driveway or front garden, without any requirement to fill in council forms, the government says.

Another thing to be mindful of while holding a street party is noise pollution. Loud music or excessive noise could be a nuisance for other residents and councils investigate complaints to tackle noise produced any time of the day or night.

“They may also issue warning notices in response to complaints about noise above permitted levels from 11pm to 7am,” the government website states. If a notice is served, the noise should be reduced within 10 minutes.

More helpful tips, advice and support for organising a successful event can be found on The Big Lunch website where you can request a free Big Lunch pack for organisers, and also on the Street Party website.


Leave a Comment