One of the most patriotic holidays is finally here, the Fourth of July, otherwise known as Independence Day.
And as we engage in the typical American traditions—barbecues, cookouts and parades, or even hunting for the best deals—many of us are wondering if we will be able to carry out any tasks we have for the day. trips to the grocery store, especially if we’ve forgotten to buy a few things.
The Fourth of July commemorates the day the Second Continental Congress adopted the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776.
As it is a federal holiday, most companies and employees will be taking the day off. If you’re wondering if your local grocery or department store will be open, Newsweek has rounded up below which retailers are and aren’t open during the holiday.
What Stores Are Open on July 4th?
- ALDI: Stores will be open, but with modified hours. Make sure to check your local store.
- CVS: Open and operating at normal hours. However, pharmacy hours may vary, make sure to call and check with your local CVS.
- Home Depot: Open and operating at normal hours.
- Kroger: All stores will be open, but opening hours will depend on location. The Kroger supermarkets include Dillons, Smith’s, Ralphs, QFC, City Market, Metro Market, Mariano’s, Gerbes, Harris Teeter, King Soopers and Pick’n Save. Get. your local store’s hours here.
- Macy’s: Most stores will be open from 11 am to 8 pm, check with your local Macy’s store.
- Safeway: Open and working at normal hours.
- Sam’s Club: Stores will be open from 10 am to 6 pm
- Stop & Shop: Open and working at normal hours.
- Target: Open and working at normal hours. These regular hours will vary upon location.
- Trader Joe’s: All stores will close at 5 pm
- Walgreens: Open and working at normal hours.
- Walmart: Open and working at normal hours. However, it’s important to note that Walmart Supercenter and Walmart stores will have different opening hours, make sure to check your local store.
- Whole Foods: Open and working at normal hours.
It’s important to remember that all stores’ opening hours, regular or not, will differ depending on state and location. So we still recommend checking your local store’s opening times online, before going to it.
What Stores Aren’t Open on the Fourth of July?
As far as we’re aware, the only major retailer that will be closing all its stores for the federal holiday is Costco.